Thursday, November 17, 2011

Farewell Summer Garden

Chilly days ahead means our late-blooming tomatoes will never get ripe on the vine, so we decided to just pick them all while still green and before the first frost hits. 

We realized too late that the tomato plants were a whole lot thirstier than they let on, hence the late-blooming tomatoes didn't have a chance to enjoy enough sun to even blush!

I found a recipe for Green Tomato Relish which called for 24 large green tomatoes. I looked at the box and decided I had enough small ones to do the trick. I mean, really now, who decides how big a "large" tomato is?

I ended up with two bowls of this size.

To the 24 "large" tomatoes I added three red and three green bell peppers and a dozen "large" onions . . . chopped them all in a food processor. Then sugar, vinegar, celery and mustard seed and a bit of salt was added, and simmered on the stove a short while before canning.

The recipe gave me 14 pints of relish. 
These will make great Christmas gifts!

I must include in our final harvest a nice bunch of peppers . . . JalapeƱos, Sweet Italian, and a few Pepperoncini Peppers.

Life is good!

6 comments:

Leigh said...

WOW! That's one impressive pile of green tomatoes! I'm working on mine too, LOL. Will post my "solutiont" soon. :)

BeBopGrammie said...

Love your solution to that massive pile of green tomatoes. I hope one or two of those jars comes my way, somehow..it looks mighty good and like something I would enjoy daily.

TravelingGrammy said...

Yum! You're so talented...I've never even tasted a green tomato.......

GreyWolf said...

Now why didn't I think of that?
We did can some zucchini relish that turned out wonderful. Next year will make a lot more and add some hot peppers too.

kalebsmum said...

Yum! Glad you found something to do with those extra tomatoes that don't quite ripen :)

Domesticated Duchess said...

You should do a giveaway! Those look delicious!